I [Heart] Kale
I made a CRAVEWORTHY kale salad last weekend that I’ve been meaning to post here. I found it on Epicurious.com when I searched “kale brussels sprouts salad” (trying to clean out the fridge), and I can’t wait to make it again. It was super easy, unique, memorable, and a great accompaniment to our main dish that night, turkey chili. The kids didn’t like it much (I save their kale for smoothies), but at least they could tell that we did (the bowl was scraped clean).
Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad(from Bon Appetit, November 2011)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 pounds total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely grated Pecorino
Combine first six ingredients in a bowl and stir; set aside. Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl; set aside. Saute almonds in a teaspoon of oil over medium-high heat until browned. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt. Whisk oil into lemon juice mixture. Toss ingredients together, add salt if necessary, add cheese and serve! Saves well for leftovers the next day too!