Every time I go to Latin America, I come home inspired to eat spicy eggs and beans for breakfast. And without fail, this lasts for a few days, and I fall back into my comfortable and entirely boring oatmeal routine.
There is something hearty and invigorating about eating spicy food in the morning – quite the opposite of the relaxed, sleep-inducing effect American pastries tend to have. Fresh from a weeklong holiday in Costa Rica, where I ate Tabasco-laced eggs coupled with rice and beans every morning, I’m trying to keep some spice in my morning meal. Here’s a simple rice and bean recipe you can keep in the fridge and warm up to accompany scrambled or fried eggs. It’s a delicious way to kick-start your morning.
- Saute onion, bell pepper, garlic, and cumin in a small amount of oil
- Add small amount of tomato sauce or salsa
- Mix with cooked black beans and rice
- Add salt, pepper, chopped cilantro, and salsa to taste
- Serve alongside scrambled or fried eggs
Photo by Natalie Maynor, via Flickr Creative Commons.