Personalizing Your Health
I recently learned about WellnessFX, a San Francisco based start-up focused on “bringing personalized health data directly to the hands of consumers, conveniently and superbly.” Testing cholesterol, thyroid function, liver + kidney health, nutrition + electrolytes, basic inflammation, performance hormones, and metabolic hormones — and then helping you interpret your personalized data — WellnessFX ambitiously sets out to empower people with actionable insights they can use to improve their health. Pricing ranges from $29 – $529, depending on what you’re having tested. I’m intrigued enough to give this a shot; if you’ve by chance had a WellnessFX screening, I’d love to hear your thoughts about whether it added value and which package to choose. And stay tuned for a future post once I’ve had the screening done.
In the meantime, I thought I’d share something I came across as I was exploring the company. They created a free e-book called “10 Small Steps to Wellness.” The ten they chose are interesting — I love some of them (#s 2, 3, 5, 6, 7), but I think a few of them would be far from my personal top 10 small steps (i.e., I’d never bring weights on a business trip…I think a bit of dirt is good for you….I’m not sold that supplements are necessary/good for you…and I think I’d argue to flat out eliminate heavy drinking, versus just drink water to compensate). Nonetheless, seeing someone else’s list is always a great catalyst to think about what might be on yours. Here’s the list from WellnessFX:
- Keep out harmful pathogens: practice good hygiene. SAMPLE COMMITMENT: For one month I will wash my hands whenever possible before and after social events, meals, and taking public transportation.
- Get some Z’s. SAMPLE COMMITMENT: For two weeks I will go to bed and get up at the same time everyday
- Simple carbs (sugars) lower the immune system: avoid them! SAMPLE COMMITMENT: For one week I will avoid sugary foods or processed foods and replace them with whole, natural foods.
- Don’t forget the supplements. SAMPLE COMMITMENT: For one month I will make a supplement plan and stick to it – even if I’m traveling!
- Relax, relax, relax. SAMPLE COMMITMENT: For one week I will take 10 minutes to myself every day to clear my mind – no computer or phone allowed!
- Workout hard, not long. SAMPLE COMMITMENT: For one month I will dedicate my workouts to shorter, more intense intervals.
- Include the family. SAMPLE COMMITMENT: For one month I will be active with others.
- Add some pounds. SAMPLE COMMITMENT: For the next three trips longer than three days, I will bring my own weights – and use them!
- Keep your metabolism amped. SAMPLE COMMITMENT: For one month I will prepare my own meals ahead of time, pack snacks, and take healthy options to potlucks.
- Be wary of alcohol. SAMPLE COMMITMENT: For one month, when doing heavy drinking, I will have one glass of water for every glass of alcohol.
What’s in your top 10 that’s not included in this list? And if you’d like to write your own wellfesto (a collection of your commitments), please send it my way, and I’ll beautify it and post it!